• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

well i had three red belly's in a tank, the two large have been wanting to mate for a long time and now decided it was time to clear room for mating,
as i don't have much for cover ( can't keep a live plant ALIVE ) they tore into the smaller male, i wasn't around to catch him but its clear their intent was to disable him, they are on a decent feeding schedule so i know they weren't just hungry.

but anyhow the damage is pretty bad, and he can't seem to stay upright, as his tail end wants to float also more damage to one side than the other.

when he is upright he seems to swim for a bit then floats and just chills. <-- i'm pretty sure the air isn't good for a wound, or trying to breath.

but either way i don't want him to die if he doesn't have to.
i do think he might have nerve damage to the tail fin as they came pretty close.

idk you guys tell me.

1, can he survive?
2, if so how do i keep him submerged, without harming his wound?
2, will the rushing water from my filter drown him, or the airstone? its a small 15 gallon recovery tank.

its been two days, i went and got some stress coat, (aloe crap) idk. and also added a bit of salt in the small tank.

so far it kinda looks like its building tissue, he is very stressed (i keep attempting to hold him down with variations of my net)

but tonight he seems like hes starting to give up, he was gulping a bit for air. and i know there's plenty and hes starting to get a slight discoloration in the top of his head.

let me know guys.

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg
  • AggressiveLordBDR likes this

#2 Death in #'s

Death in #'s

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

Put him in another tank with salt n raised temp to about 78-80. Leave it dark n don't stress him

Hope he is ok. I've seen piranha survive some bad wounds
  • AggressiveLordBDR likes this
FoReVeR OG Respect my GANGSTA!!!!
Truffle Shuffle Crew Founding Member!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

I told him it doesn't make sense to do that....and whipped out my ninja smoke bomb and disappeared!!!!!
1Rhom

Posted Image

#3 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

i did all that, is there any way to keep him submerged?

#4 Death in #'s

Death in #'s

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

Other than putting him in a Tupperware with holes in it not really

Posted ImagePosted Image

I told him it doesn't make sense to do that....and whipped out my ninja smoke bomb and disappeared!!!!!
1Rhom

Posted Image

#5 MSS9292

MSS9292

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

The good news is that pygos heal and regenerate crazy fast. Do what the above said and make sure you aren't putting too much aquarium salt in the hospital tank. Let us know how he does.

#6 AggressiveLordBDR

AggressiveLordBDR

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

haha wow he took a beating hopefully heals well might be off shape abit

I have had mine get bit pretty good and healed within two weeks so so forsure but not as bad as urs so id say give or take time

id feed mine daily too and when I had a lot they would still do that to one but they don't anymore or haven't for good little while

#7 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I might try the Tupperware thing, as he can't stay under. but that's probably stressful as hell.

he's still breathing today, the mark on his head is getting pretty thick grey-white color.

is there a certain brand of antibiotics any of you guys recommend?

also is their anything harmfull about floating upside down? or anything NOT upright? <-- that's my main concern at this point, is keeping him under the water to heal, and trying to keep him upright. (he seems to want to live when upright)

other than that he doesn't look so bad, i'm going to do a water change in a bit, just waiting as long as i can, i don't want to stress him.

#8 ryan10

ryan10

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

Maybe try melafix.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

i guess my question now is, should i leave him to float and get beat on by the airstone and the current of the filter?

does anyone else recommend the tupperware idea? i'm going to pick one up later.

#10 Death in #'s

Death in #'s

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Many fish get delivered in them it's prob alot less stressful then current throwing it around

If anyone else has a idea hope they chime in to

Just cut the wide n make sure sharp edges our outside it. Maybe sand edges or push them out

Posted ImagePosted Image

1Rhom

Posted Image

#11 Red Eyes

Red Eyes

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I wouldn't actually use a real Tupperware container (they are expensive) try the dollar store for an inexpensive container. Have you seen this http://www.opefe.com/repairpira.html They are tougher than you think.

#12 Death in #'s

Death in #'s

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yea was thinking the really thin cheap ones

Posted ImagePosted Image

1Rhom

Posted Image

#13 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just lower the water level to where it's just above his head ( if possible ). Not sure if your filter will still run with the water that low, but the low water level will help keep him balanced. A partial water change should also help him out incase nitrites are too high (causing him to gasp).

Pygos heal like wolverine... as long as it doesn't die, it should heal back up.
Posted Image

#14 .piranhakeepers.com.

.piranhakeepers.com.

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah what they said... Its all flesh so he should be fine. Might look weird later though. The low water is the best suggestion. The white/grey is a good sign, its him healing. I would not waste money on antibiotics unless you really want to, aquarium salt as mentioned is all you really need to fight infection and help him heal faster. Aloe works great to if you have any of those plants around.
If you cant lower the water try a sheet of plastic or acrylic with lots of holes.. Might be less stress over a container. That corrugated plastic that looks like cardboard should be fine but you'll need to clean out the hollow parts every few days. Throw some big rocks or something to keep it off the bottom then put some weights on top.
A wound like that might take a few months, so be prepared for the long haul

#15 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

the coloration on his head spread a bit, i don't think it was an infection mabye just showing stress.

but when i checked on him about an hour after my last post, he wasn't breathing but he was moving his eyes.

about 15 minutes later he was gone. i did all i could, but the tail damage and not being able to stay upright took a toll.

thanks for the help guys.

#16 .piranhakeepers.com.

.piranhakeepers.com.

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Sorry to hear that. I've seen worse get better. Might have been poor water that did him off from being relocated. I'm guessing the tank was not cycled and just a quick setup?

#17 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

no the water was from the main tank, about 13 gallons then 2 gallons of freshwater. i did water changes through-out the whole thing.

so it wasn't the water, i had a large airstone (not the one in the picture) also inside the small tank. like i said i added a bit of salt and an aloe stress coat, nothing overwhelming.
so i know it wasn't an oxygen problem, like i said the tissue holding the tail together was pretty damaged he could pull it one way,, but not back the other.
although they are used to about 78-80 degree water(their preference), instead of a steady 84 degrees like the recovery tank was.

and they got down to nerves, and im assuming a spine.

so i'd imagine he was under alot of stress, i honestly thought he would of pulled through.
  • ACrowe25 likes this

#18 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,853 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

RIP...
often if the fish can't stay balanced by itself it'll very likely not make it. hopefully the pair that did the damage will breed many babies for you to replace the lost one.

Posted Image

#19 SiRSmokesAloT

SiRSmokesAloT

Fry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

can only hope, but idk he's dark and ready to mate, but she is still light in color, he's been trying to initiate something since the third one was removed from the tank, but she's not really having it. (She's small) so i hope he don't eat her too.

#20 ryan10

ryan10

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sucks man. It's the nature of the beast. Mine ate my favorite bout 6 months ago. :(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piranha, bite, bit, chunk, missing, float, stop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users