35 replies to this topic

#1 kove32

kove32

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hey guys,

Recently I picked up one of these marbled crayfish. They are the self-cloning ones that you hear about. I was lucky enough to pick up one that was berried. After some research I think I have confirmed that it is the real deal. I thought that I would keep this topic as a sort of journal to keep track of their growth. I will hopefully have babies within a week or two. I plan on using a lot of the babies as food for my turtles. Also, the pet store said they wanted to buy back some if I was interested.

Right now he is in the five gallon that I talked about in another thread. I plan on removing all the current tank mates (just some guppies) and putting in some least killifish. For those who don't know, they are the 8th smallest fish in the world. They are a live bearer who will drop around 2-3 babies over a few weeks. The babies are large enough that the parent fish will not eat them. I figure this will be a sort of "oddball" breeding tank.

Pictures to follow.
Posted Image

#2 MFNRyan

MFNRyan

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Did you pick him up at the store you showed me? Check out there P selection while you were in?
Ryan!!!

#3 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

5 gallon will probably end up being too small, I keep my marmorkrebs in a 10 and really wish I had at least a 20 long for them. It is a good idea to put something over your filter intake to keep them from getting sucked up, the babies are pretty small.
I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

#4 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Looking forward to pics and seeing how this project develops -- I've read about these guys but don't know much about them.

#5 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

they should get berries about every other month also. And all my p's love em :)

Edited by Nzac, 02 November 2011 - 07:16 PM.

I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

#6 kove32

kove32

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Ryan, I didn't get it at the pet store we went to. This is at a pretty small locally owned one. I was looking around the shrimp and the topic came up of one.. The owner said they actually had one in and he thought it was berried.

Nzac, I figured the 5 gal would prob be too small in the future. What I plan on doing is hopefully siphoning the babies out and putting them in tupperware in my basement. I'll most likely do an apartment style where I stack PVC pipes. As of for now, I'm extremely interested in monitoring the crayfish's cycle. Do you have any recommendations for them? How long is their pregnancy period, and what size can I expect the babies? Also, what is the growth rate on the babies? Any other recommendations?

Joe, I'll have to be sure to send you a baby or two when they get a bit older!
Posted Image

#7 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

It seems from what I have seen, the berried stage lasts around a month, during which time she just seems to hide, the babies are tiny versions of mom when they hatch(never actually seen it happen), they ride around on moms back for a while before they start off on their own. as for growth, they seem to grow pretty fast, within a month they are usually over 1".

I never really paid a ton of attention, I just toss them some broken algae wafers and shrimp bites daily, there are also snails breeding in that tank for them to eat. when I see a few large enough, off they go into the P tanks. I learned the hard way a while back that you should always keep 2 adults, I sold off all of mine but 1 and came home from work a week later to find the 1 remaining had died. fortunately someone near me had a few young for sale so I could start over again.

They also say that these crawfish do not eat fish... BS, they would kill a platy here and there to eat just because.

I made a pyramid of 1 1/4" x 5" long pvc apartments for them to live in on my last go round (they had a 20H then) now I just have a few tubes in a 10 gallon for them.

Sorry some of the gravel has come off since I used it last.
Attached File  100_0208.JPG   768.93KB   1 downloads Attached File  100_0210.JPG   1.03MB   1 downloads

Edited by Nzac, 02 November 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#8 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

^ Crayfish Hotel
Posted Image

#9 kove32

kove32

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

It seems from what I have seen, the berried stage lasts around a month, during which time she just seems to hide, the babies are tiny versions of mom when they hatch(never actually seen it happen), they ride around on moms back for a while before they start off on their own. as for growth, they seem to grow pretty fast, within a month they are usually over 1".

I never really paid a ton of attention, I just toss them some broken algae wafers and shrimp bites daily, there are also snails breeding in that tank for them to eat. when I see a few large enough, off they go into the P tanks. I learned the hard way a while back that you should always keep 2 adults, I sold off all of mine but 1 and came home from work a week later to find the 1 remaining had died. fortunately someone near me had a few young for sale so I could start over again.

They also say that these crawfish do not eat fish... BS, they would kill a platy here and there to eat just because.

I made a pyramid of 1 1/4" x 5" long pvc apartments for them to live in on my last go round (they had a 20H then) now I just have a few tubes in a 10 gallon for them.

Sorry some of the gravel has come off since I used it last.
Attached File  100_0208.JPG   768.93KB   1 downloads Attached File  100_0210.JPG   1.03MB   1 downloads

Great information! Now do you have a heater in the tank? Also, what kind of filtration? Do you notice fighting between them? I'm debating on what would be the best way to go about this. I obviously want to keep the "original" one in the 5 gallon. I think it would be best because she'll obviously produce the biggest clutches. Some sources say that they will then reproduce at as little as 2". Hopefully I'll be able to have a large quantity, and I'm sure my turtles will enjoy some 1" ones here and there.
Posted Image

#10 His Majesty

His Majesty

Puck Bunny

• Site Moderator
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

sounds like a cool little project. looking forward to the progress.
Me, HM, Trav, and Trigga are better looking than most of you white guys on here - speakyourmind

#11 CyberGenetics

CyberGenetics

ArachnoKing

• 1,105 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

wow there Asexual... thats amazing.

Oh and 5g is far to small for 1 cray, especially if you plan to have fish in it like you said.

#12 Grendel

Grendel

Analog Man/Digital World

• Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

They are WICKED cannibalistic, large ones eat small ones at a prodigious rate. If you want large quantities, use a big footprint tank, like a 30 breeder and put lots of cover, multiple tanks are better for different sizes. Hanging mats like for breeding help the survival rate. Old fashion sponge filters work best.

Edited by Bawb2u, 03 November 2011 - 11:51 AM.

If nobody came back from the future to stop you, it wasn't that bad of a decision.

#13 kove32

kove32

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Really? I had no idea they were cannibalistic?

Like I said, I plan to keep this main one in the 5 gallon. I plan on removing the babies hopefully a week after they are born, and I will put them in a Tupperware.
Posted Image

#14 CyberGenetics

CyberGenetics

ArachnoKing

• 1,105 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

^^ Tupperware? with no filteration or agitation?

Edited by CyberGenetics, 03 November 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

actually the marmorkrebs do not eat each other that i have noticed. They don't even eat the red cherry shrimps that are in the tank with them. The only "fighting" i have seen is when there is not enough hiding spots for all of them. I have a penguin 150 biowheel on tank with a sponge prefilter and I have a heater on it also. Yes the smallest i have had reproduce was around the 2" mark. Like most things the first try at babies doesn't seem to go so well but they get better as they learn. My first berried didn't give me even one baby. They also seem to love to eat cabomba plants, every now and then I will pick some up and toss in for them to eat.

Edited by Nzac, 03 November 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#16 Grendel

Grendel

Analog Man/Digital World

• Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I've seen them seek out and eat smaller ones, if batches aren't separated. I always end up with a couple of big ones and no small ones. I tried raising them for food but it just wasn't worth the time and effort.
If nobody came back from the future to stop you, it wasn't that bad of a decision.

#17 kove32

kove32

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Nah, the tupperware would definitely have filtration. Most likely something extremely simple like a few large sponge filters. The area would be pretty warm, somewhere around 70. I heard that a temperature around that range is fine for them.
Posted Image

#18 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Fry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Couple of quick notes:

Marmorkrebs fare best overall at room temperature (20°C). They will grow a little faster if you heat the water, but more will die.

Pretty much all crayfish will fight with and cannibalize each other, and attack fish, although Marmorkrebs seem to do less than other crayfish species. There is high mortality when they are small, but I think that tends to be more the result of problems with molting than cannibalism. A crayfish being cannibalized because it had a bad molt is probably pretty common.

Filtration is helpful, but crayfish are great survivors, and it's probably not critical.

More scientific research is available on my website.

Edited by Doctor Zen, 07 November 2011 - 10:30 AM.

• Trav likes this
--
Zen Faulkes
Biology, The University of Texas-Pan American

Posted Image

#19 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

So how fast do they actually reproduce? Say you started with 10, how long would it take to see your colony reach 100 under ideal conditions?

#20 Trav

Trav

#greezy

• Site Moderator
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Very interesting read. Any pics of your setup?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users