• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hoplias lacerdae. Need caring advice for one. I want some bad@$$ to put under my shoal when i build my mutli tank stand. Whats the min tamk size for one? They have them on sa at like 10" for $299
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Imagex4 from 7 to 10"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#2 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I remember jp saying those lacerdae were bad ass. I think all hoplias are cool. I believe these grow pretty large, tank size is up to you of course. I personally wouldn't keep it long term in anything less than a 75/90G footprint. Obviously bigger the better. They can have a tendency to jump out, or jump at you... so keep a lid. And weigh it down a bit. They bite their prey and shake rigorously, then chew and swallow down, rather than surgically cutting and swallowing chunks like Ps. They are generally not skittish fish, and most will let you hand feed them or feed them with tongs. They like to hunt at night, but will pretty much eat anytime their hungry. They can go a while without food, they can sometimes fast like Ps. Their color can also adjust with the substrate, similar to rhoms. Some species are less active than others... some say malas just sit there, some say the same about black wolves... but some fish are always active, it just depends I guess. Aimara is generally an active wolf. I have no idea about the lacerdae.
Posted Image

#3 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

I would love a aimara but 1000$ is not in my pricei range. Id mide as well get 15+ inch black rhom. I wanna give these guys a try. Planning on getting a 120gal for it
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#4 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Lacerdae should jump out the tank at you. They are mean fish. 120 should be a nice footprint for a very long time.
Posted Image

#5 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,851 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

I only had mala and microlepis before, they don't move much unless they are on the hunt for food. the mala was 6" and microlepis was 10", had them in 75g.
Lacerdae needs a big tank as it can reach about 30inches, minimum would be 120g (4x2x2), with larger tank they tend to be more active according to some owners.
The ones at SA are pretty nice, always on the look out for food whenever I'm there, one almost jumped out of the tank to attack my finger.
here are few pix I took when I was there last time.
Attached File  h. lac 1.jpg   97.82KB   0 downloads
Attached File  h. lac 2.jpg   57.29KB   0 downloads
Attached File  h. lac 3.jpg   109.25KB   0 downloads

Posted Image

#6 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Lacerdae:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Man those things are beastly. I think i decided im going for it. Hopefully i can get my hands on one. Does sa ship in winter?
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#8 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

I think our vendors ship year round.
Posted Image

#9 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Sweet! Well im hoping to get this whole buch of tank projects done in 6 months. Building a new house and ill be in the basement and am thinking on getting a double 120gal stand and double 55 going on along with my tanks i have. Going to weld up some angle iron stands and get the powder coated from my uncle. The wolf will be in one 120gal my pygo shoal in another. Convict breeding tank in one 50gal and a rrs in the other. 30 gal will be a fowlr salt predator tank. Then have a 15queen gal planted and a 2.5 plantef and a 2.5 reef. Im hoping all tanks will get done in a year. If i can get a good job this will happen sooner. We are hoping to jave the new house built in the n 4 months so i can start then
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#10 XChrisKOTD

XChrisKOTD

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

That fish be mean muggin' me.

#11 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

So would it be smart to install locks on the tops to avoid people sticking their finger in the tank thinking its funny and losing a finger like me?
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#12 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,851 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

if you can get 180g, get 180g, you can always divide it as needed but when you need a big tank for a large fish or big shoal you have one big tank.
as for install locks on the top, it's a good idea, not only to avoid ppl sticking their finger in the tank but also help prevent them from jumping out. all the wolf fish tank lids at SA are weighted down by either 2x4 or 4x4, can't remember.
My microlepis jumped about 1 foot or so out of a 1/3-1/2 filled 6g bucket tried to bite my finger when I was selling it.

Posted Image

#13 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Now is pretty much any wolf fish aggresive? What makes such the price difference between a aimera and the one im thinking of getting
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#14 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

aimara is the largest growing species, and said to be the most active. it is also known for it's boldness and aggression, and is said to be the most dangerous freshwater fish in the world (Jeremy Wade/RiverMonsters).
Posted Image

#15 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

aimara is the largest growing species, and said to be the most active. it is also known for it's boldness and aggression, and is said to be the most dangerous freshwater fish in the world (Jeremy Wade/RiverMonsters).

Yea id love one but man idk if i could cough up 900 bucks for one. Heck im just struggling finding a job. Im just living off of doing work for my father fixing cars and building the shed. No one even calls back on my job applications. I must suck at them or something. I. Had a paper route which was a joke cuz i didnt live in town and used up to much gas. A 300 dollar wolf os much ore realistic
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#16 Smoke

Smoke

Serrasalmus Manueli

• 6,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yea id love one but man idk if i could cough up 900 bucks for one. Heck im just struggling finding a job. Im just living off of doing work for my father fixing cars and building the shed. No one even calls back on my job applications. I must suck at them or something. I. Had a paper route which was a joke cuz i didnt live in town and used up to much gas. A 300 dollar wolf os much ore realistic

that's cool man, I was just trying to answer your question :) I am in no way trying to persuade you, or influence you to get an aimara.

I think that a lacerdae can be just as cool, and aggressive. In fact, it's extremely rare in the hobby... ask around, not very many people (if any) has one. Plus, they too get extremely large, so... not THAT big difference in a way..
Posted Image

#17 Nubz

Nubz

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

that's cool man, I was just trying to answer your question :) I am in no way trying to persuade you, or influence you to get an aimara.

I think that a lacerdae can be just as cool, and aggressive. In fact, it's extremely rare in the hobby... ask around, not very many people (if any) has one. Plus, they too get extremely large, so... not THAT big difference in a way..

I think ill give them a shot. It will be cool to have. Now i just gotta save up for the tank first. When we get the house built im going to get on picking up a tank off craigslist hopefully. My pygos will need a upgrade too
Posted Image x1 at 5"
Posted Image ×1. At 6.5"
×1 at 6.5"
Posted Image

#18 Grendel

Grendel

Analog Man/Digital World

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

http://www.aquacave....oller-C130.aspx

Glass heaters and fish that slam food around are a bad combination. One man's opinion.
If nobody came back from the future to stop you, it wasn't that bad of a decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users