• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

I bought my 125 with the intention of upgrading from my 75 and then selling the 75 and stand on CL, but after moving some things around in the house, I decided I had room for the 75 and decided to keep it. Since I am pretty much starting from scratch on this one, I decided to start a new journal instead of resurrecting the old one.

First thing I needed to do was build a new stand to match the height of the 125 it will be sitting next to. The old stand was built to be 34" tall, leaving the top of the tank at 55", since the top of the 125 is at 49 1/2", the new stand had to be 28 1/2". I bought the lumber earlier in the week but didn't get a chance to work on it until today, so I put my kid down for a nap after lunch and got to work.

It was really humid outside so I decided to cut the lumber outside and assemble everything inside. I pretty much followed the same plan I always use for stands, except last time I built a stand for a 75, I added 4 more center supports, and this time I went with just the uprights in the corners. My last stand was really overbuilt and it was a pain to move around, this stand will easily weigh less than half as much as the last one.

Here's a few pics of the build so far...

Attached File  IMG_1933-2.jpg   480.35KB   2 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1935-2.jpg   408.81KB   23 downloads
Attached File  IMG_1937-2.jpg   426.26KB   26 downloads

Here's a pic showing the height difference between the 125 and the 75 on the old stand...

Attached File  IMG_1938-2.jpg   358.48KB   31 downloads

Here's one last pic of the 75 on the new stand next to the 125 to show the matching height...

Attached File  IMG_1945-2.jpg   307.04KB   27 downloads

The plan is to skin the stand frame tomorrow and hopefully start filling, sanding, and painting on Monday.
  • NFluckey likes this

#2 XiDiS

XiDiS

Serrasalmus elongatus

• 2,167 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Looks good man. I love the second to last picture... your rhom is looking at the tank like 'wtf is that thing' lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image <---- Slip n Slide like a BAWSE!!!
P.P.C

#3 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

I may have to figure something out to obstruct the view of the fish in the other tank. Initially I figured there would be enough plants on the sides that they wouldn't be able to see each other, but the scape I'm planning for the 125 will leave the right side pretty much wide open.

#4 The Dude

The Dude

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Site Moderator
  • 9,976 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

/awaits next post…. And looking forward to the rescape of the 125.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Fortune

Fortune

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

What are you going to put in this 75? Your Comp? Is it a bad thing if the fish see each other?
Looks good though, good call on making a new stand, it looked funny before with the height difference.
I just started building a stand for double 29 gallons. The top one will sit 36" from the ground so I have plenty of access to the bottom one.

#6 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Not 100% sure on stocking yet, I've been looking for another fish, but haven't had any luck yet. If I don't get anything new, then my compressus will be going in there.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if the fish see each other, but I'd like to avoid having them both posted up in the corners closest to the other tank all the time -- I'll see how things go and make changes if necessary.

#7 His Majesty

His Majesty

Puck Bunny

• Site Moderator
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Joe doesnt setup aquariums because he likes fish, its because he loves building stands. every time Joe you get a new tank you break out your tools and knock up a new stand.
Me, HM, Trav, and Trigga are better looking than most of you white guys on here - speakyourmind
Posted Image
PM me your entries for POTM and NPOTM

#8 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,828 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

what HM said, I think Joe just likes to play with his tools and wood

Posted Image

#9 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

If I don't use my tools, I don't get to keep buying them... you should understand that Jack, you're married

#10 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,828 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Oh I totally understand that Joe, stop reminding me that I'm married, it takes a toll on the hobby lol

Posted Image

#11 eatfood

eatfood

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

:snack:

Dude your other build threads are some of my favorites - looking forward to this one.

also wouldn't your fish develop chimples pretty bad if they could see each other.

#12 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Skinned the stand and was about halfway done cutting pieces of the trim when I realized that it was almost 10, so I had to call it quits for the night. Tomorrow morning I'll finish cutting lumber then I can get the trim on there and sand the whole thing down. If I can start priming by noon, I should be able to finish painting by tomorrow night.

No pics tonight, but I'll take some in the morning.

#13 BradD

BradD

Pygo Shoals

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

looking good joe. I built a really nice overkill stand outta oak and pine for my 65 gal. I have to make a quad stand for two 46 bow fronts and 2 29 gals not sure how yet but i know it will be overkill. lol
Posted Image
Posted Image x5
Posted Image x1
Posted Image x1
Posted Image x12

#14 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Most DIY stands are overkill, 2x4s can support a lot more weight than people think -- I just went WAY overboard with my last 75 stand and I never want to move around a stand like that again.

#15 eatfood

eatfood

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

yeah that is a problem with solid real wood stands - they weigh a sh*t load, but still worth it. I have a new particle board top fin stand for my 75, and while it looks nice it is a total PITA POS. if I spill water I have to go into spaz out mode and dry that sh*t up before it ever happened or I will lose the cheap plastic laminate.

Edited by eatfood, 20 June 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#16 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Didn't get as much done today as I would have liked to, but oh well. Frame is skinned and I got the trim on there, all the filling and sanding is done except the corners on the trim, so tomorrow I should be able to start priming and painting pretty much right away.

Still haven't decided on doors, but those can be put on after the tank is set up.

Attached File  IMG_1948.jpg   336.38KB   12 downloads

#17 BradD

BradD

Pygo Shoals

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

looks great.
Posted Image
Posted Image x5
Posted Image x1
Posted Image x1
Posted Image x12

#18 JoeDizzleMPLS

JoeDizzleMPLS

Administrator

• Webmaster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Finished sanding and priming this afternoon, will start painting in about a half hour -- gloss white on the inside and black on the outside.

Attached File  IMG_1953.jpg   278.67KB   8 downloads

#19 eatfood

eatfood

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

what, no magenta?

#20 Fortune

Fortune

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Looks good Joe, excited to see the finished project!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users