• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

A few of my caribe have this.....its some marks above their eyes, some fins look like they've been nipped(but not sure), and some other have some white stuff on the mouth.  I've been dosing with pimafix for about 3 days. Also not sure if clip shows this but there seems to be white algae growing in the tank as well....

Tank specs: 9 caribe 1 P. Natt in a 125g with (2) ac 110's (2) bubblers switched off with (2) hydor power heads for constant water movement.. I feed beef heart from petland or wild caught shrimp or chunks of salmon, flounder and some other sh*t that I got from fresh direct...

Noticed the "white algae a month ago thought it was due to chunks of food left in gravel since the P's decided to kill oth cray fish(no scavengers left to eat left overs) but it looks more and more like some sort of growth...

link to dropbox vid: please forgive crappy cell phone cam

https://www.dropbox....165338.mp4?dl=0

Edited by DjLytsOut, 04 January 2018 - 04:31 PM.

#2 joel_h

joel_h

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

kinda hard to see in the video. from what i could see it looks like a fungus a flowerhorn i used to have got. white puffy stuff coming out from under scales in random places. i turned the heat up and used a API fungul cure. but like i said, i can't really see what it is. try to get a picture. it may be clearer.  

#3 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

Yeah...if you could get a picture that would help.  Have you checked ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#4 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

just did the quick test with the strip

GH 0

KH 0

PH 6.0

NITRITE 0-.5 PPM

NITRATE 80 PPM 

I'm going to stop pimafix treatment and do water change tonight.  I also noticed one of them has a hole in a face area as if the skin is being eaten away

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180105_1611531.png

#5 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

With your KH and GH at 0....I cant imagine your PH is stable.  You might want to take in a sample to a lfs and get it tested.  

#6 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

I did a test with my master kit

ammonia 4 ppm

nitrate 160 ppm

nitrite 0 ppm

ph looks around 7.8 ppm

also I had to remove one due to his appearance and put him in my 10 gallon..he's not swimming or anything just staying close to the filter..strange was swimming in the 125

20180106_190753.jpg

Edited by DjLytsOut, 06 January 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#7 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

ammonia and nitrates are on the way down after a water change yesterday 

now reading 2 ppm for ammonia and 40 ppm for nitrate...p.h 7.4 ppm nitrites still at 0 ppm

I plan on doing another water change today while watching football 

I'm curious though that these high readings caused the medical issues with some of the fish? just added some aquarium salt to the 10 gal and will continue to dose with pimafix until I hear someone more educated on the matter say otherwise

Edited by DjLytsOut, 07 January 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#8 joel_h

joel_h

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

seeing a clearer picture, that doesn't look like what I thought it was. hope it heals up.

#9 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Today's test

AMMONIA 0ppm

NITRITE 0ppm

NITRATE 40-80 ppm

Not sure why nitrates are still high...tank is cloudy like its going through a bloom.  Will clean out filters and rinse sponge and media(possibly replace) in a few days just to make sure there is nothing in there causing the fish to get sick

#10 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

You didn’t mention how big they are or how often you feed. Depending on that, two ac110s may not be sufficient to filter your tank. Don’t change your media all at once or you’ll have an even bigger problem.

I would check for any uneaten food or anything else that would cause high ammonia and nitrates. How often do you do water changes and how much? Over time nitrates build up and you essentially get to a set amount of nitrates you will always have in the tank.

Btw, lots of folks believe pimafix is the same as voodoo, just a bunch of crap.

#11 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

I wouldnt worry about the nitrates......pretty harmless imo.  My guess...is that you have been having some ph swings that are changing the acidic levels of the water.  I would just dose with salt....and work on the KH to stabilize the ph.

#12 DjLytsOut

DjLytsOut

Juvie

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

You didn’t mention how big they are or how often you feed. Depending on that, two ac110s may not be sufficient to filter your tank. Don’t change your media all at once or you’ll have an even bigger problem.

I would check for any uneaten food or anything else that would cause high ammonia and nitrates. How often do you do water changes and how much? Over time nitrates build up and you essentially get to a set amount of nitrates you will always have in the tank.

Btw, lots of folks believe pimafix is the same as voodoo, just a bunch of crap.

I wouldnt worry about the nitrates......pretty harmless imo.  My guess...is that you have been having some ph swings that are changing the acidic levels of the water.  I would just dose with salt....and work on the KH to stabilize the ph.

size ranges from approx 2.5" to 5" I was feeding twice a day to keep aggression and cannibalism down. 

water changes I try to do weekly at 50%

no left over food at the moment did a real good job siphoning the gravel during the past 3 w/c's

haven't fed them going on a week

the one with the whole in the face has not gotten better with the pimafix and I have been dosing with the salt as well think i should switch to melafix for bacterial treatment

ok I'll try adding salt to the big tank ass well

Edited by DjLytsOut, 11 January 2018 - 03:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users