Flourite sand need to be washed?

#2 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

God yes, the stuff is filthy
I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

#3 Grendel

Grendel

Analog Man/Digital World

• Members
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

"Directions: Although it is pre-washed, because Flourite® is a natural product, it may become dusty in transit and require rinsing before use to remove any residual dust.

NOTE: The specialized mesh bottom of the 3.5 kg size allows it to be rinsed right in the bag."

TIPS: When adding water to aquarium, fill slowly to avoid disturbing Flourite® substrate bed. Place a bowl in the aquarium and add water directly to the bowl, allowing water to overflow softly on to the gravel bed. Initial cloudiness is normal. To remove cloudiness, use mechanical filtration (such as filter floss). Clarity™ clearing."

Make sure you do that bolded part. Don't over stir it while cleaning, it's self-defeating. The more you agitate it, the more the clay breaks down and you end up washing most of it down the driveway. The clay, if filled slowly enough will absorb water and weight and that reduces cloudiness. The faster you fill it the longer it takes to clear.

If nobody came back from the future to stop you, it wasn't that bad of a decision.

#4 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

You really need to wash it. I put a bunch in my 180g tank. Easiest way was to put half a bag in a 5g bucket. Because there is so much debris and its clay like, it is a pain.

#5 The Dude

The Dude

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Site Moderator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

You guys weren’t kidding! Rinsed till it ran clear and started to add it slowly. Realized it didn’t mater if you add it slow. I’m not gonna see my fish for a week.

#6 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

When I used it I did 2@ 100% waterchanges back to back then called it good enough and added my hob mag250 with filter floss to clear it up

Edited by Nzac, 26 October 2017 - 01:16 PM.

I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

#7 The Dude

The Dude

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Site Moderator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Just threw a cheap API HOB with the stock filter pad on it. It’s already pretty clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users