• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

IMO and IME....hith is caused by a  bacterial parasite.  My old rhom that most of you remember had minor hith when I got him....he developed a large pit after about 5 or 6 years.  I talked to wayne and decided to go with a gram negative bacterial treatment and his face cleared up completely.  This rhom was in the hobby for close to if not more then 20 years and had zero hith when he passed.  I think we tend to over think things in this hobby. 

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#22 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:56 AM

good info.  when I was up there he mentioned his water was very hard and the rhom didn't seem to mind it.  I sampled some when I got home and it was indeed very hard.   gg when your rhom healed up were you also doing several water changes a week as part of the treatment?  that's what always seemed to reverse and when it showed up on my pirayas, I never used meds on them..  why do you feel it is bacteria that only attacks in the home aquarium?  should we pretreat with a gram neg med as a precaution?

#23 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

There are many causes of hith. Some are easier to prevent than others. The amount of causes is what makes it so hard to treat. There is a ton of info on MFK about it with links to articles and videos of fish vets that diagnose it. Clean water, healthy diet, are the best preventative and then it comes down to the hard water/mineral arguement.

Extended use of gram negative antibiotics will just render them useless over time is my understanding.

#24 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

I used them for 1 dosing session....probably 10 to 14 days but I cant remember.  His face was swollen from an infection which was what I used it for....and after that treatment all the little pits on his face healed and he never had any signs of hith again.

#25 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

good info.  when I was up there he mentioned his water was very hard and the rhom didn't seem to mind it.  I sampled some when I got home and it was indeed very hard.   gg when your rhom healed up were you also doing several water changes a week as part of the treatment?  that's what always seemed to reverse and when it showed up on my pirayas, I never used meds on them..  why do you feel it is bacteria that only attacks in the home aquarium?  should we pretreat with a gram neg med as a precaution?

What I did was drain his 180 down to 100 gallons to make it easier to dose and track what I was doing.  I did daily 50% water changes and followed the directions for 10 days to 2 weeks..not really sure.  The only reason I think that might be it is because that is the only fish I ever had that showed hith...and after the treatment for a (maybe) unrelated bacterial infection on his face....any sign he had of hith cleared up and never showed up again.  Could be the water changes I suppose.,,,I really have limited experience with it.

I dont pretreat any of my fish with anything other then salt and maybe melafix.  That is basically for any kind of fin damage or ammonia burn in shipping.  Ill did post a thread with pictures of his face...before and after...I will see if I can find them.

#26 Da' Manster!

Da' Manster!

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

a rhom with a great personality at that size?!..no brainer, Jeff...keep the guy... :cheers: ...hopefully you will have another big tank available when the 18+ incher comes in.

#27 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

Yeah....hes a keeper.  Every day when I go out there he begs for food.  I am not a fan of fat fish....but it is really hard not to feed him.  He is in an plexi 180 that has 10"x2" slits for filters so I can hand feed him without worrying about getting bit...and he will take 7" smelt out of my hand.  It took my old rhom years to get that comfortable...and Ive only had this dude a couple months.

• The Dude and bwesenberg11 like this

#28 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

Here are two good links on HITH. I didn't realize how complex it was to treat HITH until I went through it the second time. I always thought clean water and maybe Metro+ would always do the trick but its much more complicated than that depending on what the cause is. 

https://youtu.be/_jOIzi5macs

https://youtu.be/WobZLijeZD4

#29 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

thanks guys

#30 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

got picture/video of this 18" rhom?

Posted Image

#31 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

soon enough. he is really getting territorial  not shy at all.  ate three large shrimp with shell on yesterday

it funny how as big as he is he still looks small compared to my largest piraya I had

#32 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

did you measure it when you pick it up to ensure it's really 18"?

Posted Image

#33 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

no   if I remember correctly he said he did when he got it and it was just shy of 18"      it has really gotten nasty the last couple of days  taken owner ship of the whole tank  begs for food as well   only feeding one xl shrimp with shell on and a piece of rainbow trout with skin on daily  plus changing about 60 gals of water daily. its a really tall rhom with a very large head and a huge thick jaw   I got arhom from George back around 2001 and it measured at about 18.25"  and this one is close    hard to compare with this one living in the 800 tho

#34 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

this fish also has a really thick tail  looking forward to see if it will put on any more size

#35 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

I saw this rhom in person and it is indeed an awesome site. I saw the 18in rhom George brought in 10+ years ago and then the 18in rhom Aquascape brought in a couple years back and it is up there. It was in a 265g so all I could do was eye ball the size. It really was a beautiful specimen. The owner offered to sell it to me, but I declined because I felt horrible taking it from a 265g to a 180g tank. When you see such a beast in person you quickly realize that for the fish to be comfortable really want to have at least a 30in wide tank probably 30in tall just due to the height of the fish.

Can't wait for pics/vids.

#36 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

sounds like an awesome fish, can't wait for pics/vids

Posted Image

#37 serrapygo

serrapygo

Serrasalmus maculatus

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

I'm in the same boat, Jeff. I just bought a 2.5" umbee wich I think is a male. Tough to tell right now. If it turns out to be a female I'll be very disappointed and normally I would trade it back to the LFS. BUT! This fish is so full of personality, he/she is winning my heart! Possibly a tough decision coming up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users