• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

OK...so my new importer said he could get me a 17"+ rhom.  I met him at the airport and picked up the box from his importer...went home....got it open and it is actually about 13"-14".  To my importers credit he said that isnt ok and would get me an 18" rhom.  I kept this 14" guy...healed him up from shipping...and now I am pretty attached to the dude.  He follows me around...begs for food...will take food out of my hand.  He wasnt like that when I got him but he has really come around. 

So what would you do....trade him in for the 18" rhom that would be epic.

Keep him because personality is such a crap shoot that you never know what you will get.

Im really torn....I am loving this new guy but I also wanted a massive rhom because I have had a few in the 14" range.  Never even seen one 18". 

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#2 dmitri1521

dmitri1521

Pygocentrus nattereri

• Validating
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

Personality is everything to me. If you are happy with him, keep him. Unless you have room for both rhoms

#3 r1dermon

r1dermon

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Size matters. You wanted an 18" rhom. Or did you?
Posted Image

#4 Guru

Guru

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:19 AM

Keep the 14" with an appropriate discount, and get another tank for the 18" if needed. The only thing better than a giant rhom is multiple XL rhoms!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Personally, I get attached to certain fish so it would be hard for me to give up the 14in rhom? What is the time line on the 18in rhom? I don't think anyone has a proven 18in rhom, most turn out to be around 17in. Not sure where you are located but there is a member near Philadelphia that has a 17in bordering 18in one that I saw in person. I did not measure it, but it was a monster. The only other "supposed" 18in one was the one Pedro brought it which I saw in person but never got a ruler next to it. 

• Lifer374 likes this

#6 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

definitely go with the 18" had a few that size in the past and all were savage feeders. not often an 18:er becomes available  hopefully it will really come in,  if you stay with the smaller have it shipped to de  I have an empty 800gallon just waiting

#7 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

definitely go with the 18" had a few that size in the past and all were savage feeders. not often an 18:er becomes available  hopefully it will really come in,  if you stay with the smaller have it shipped to de  I have an empty 800gallon just waiting

Finally sold all of the piraya? I thought you were leaving the piranha game because he would heading FL. 

You want to sell me that empty 800g :)

#8 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

well  I am going to be in Delaware for the foreseeable future   will either be restocking or selling  would love to get another 18"plus rhom and plant the tank then add  a thousand cardinal tetras and nice plecos 

#9 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

well  I am going to be in Delaware for the foreseeable future   will either be restocking or selling  would love to get another 18"plus rhom and plant the tank then add  a thousand cardinal tetras and nice plecos 

There is a guy in philly with a large one. When I last spoke to him he claimed it was 18.5in. Philly shouldn't be too far for you. I can find out for you if you are interested. 

#10 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

I would be  thanks

#11 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

I say keep both

I would be  thanks

I think beltway aquarium in MD got a new rhom in, not sure the size but there's a pic, if you are not too far then give them a call and find out the size.

Attached File  Black Rhom 01.jpg   60.57KB   0 downloads

Posted Image

#12 Lifer374

Lifer374

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

jesus, that thing is a monster.  

eta. 

What's the going rate for a rhom that size now?  

Edited by Lifer374, 26 June 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#13 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

thanks   I wll

#14 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I had already told my guy that I am keeping this dude...he is just so interactive.  And when he gets in the large guy to let me know....I will decide about him when I see him.  And damn...that rhom is a beast!

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#15 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

well I went to visit the guy in philly.  I am the new owner of an 18" monster.  fish is perfect. No hlth after 5 years. this really makes me think hlth is caused by the mineral content in the water much more so than diet or cleanliness of the tank. the water he was kept in is very hard.  my water is softer so I think I am going to slowly raise the GH to 8.  will be feeding whole shrimp and trout fillets. tank is also going to be planted with hundreds of cardinal tetras and other small fish

#16 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Told you it was a gorgeous specimen. Not sure if you measured it but it truly was a beast and could very well be 18in. I was considering taking it off his hands when my Aimara died but that rhom really does deserve a tank like yours

#17 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

thanks for the hook up

#18 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

I don't know if I agree with the hard water comment. A lot of people feel that soft water with tannins kill several of the bacteria that cause hith. That not having these tannins cause piranha to succumb to hith and other fish from South America. The rhom had had for 17 years was in pristine condition and didn't start developing hith until I moved to a hard water area.

I believe it was the hard water was the cause of hith but in the last couple months I discovered voltage leakage in my tank. That also cause hith. The equipment reponsible for that was equipment I had with my rhom. With my rhom passing a year ago it's impossible to say when the equipment failed and true cause of the hith.

#19 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have done a little reading up on the topic and it states calcium and magnesium are two of the essential elements for fish bone and scale development.  I have also seen countless times where hobbyist will used peat drift wood black h2o extract and still their fish develop hilth. when ever my piraya would show any signs of it I would do several water changes a week. I think these really large fish absorb minerals from the water and when they are used up the hilth shows up as a deficiency.  just my theory.  I think I am going to get a bag of crushed coral and add it to my sump slowly, get eco complete for substate and do small doses of trace elements.  this fish is as prefect as one that was in the river yesterday and I hope to keep him that way.I don't really think diet is all that important.

#20 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

The prior owner was running a large R/O unit and then dosing that water with minerals for all of his water changes when I was there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users