• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Fry

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

Hi guys! Been an eternity since I posted anything, but thought I'd drop by and mention that my P tank is now very very low maintenence with "pristine" water quality. No significant nitrates or phosphates to speak of and totally cyano and algae free. :)

PirreSetup2017.jpg

I got a Monstera Delicosa and a pretty massive Golden Pothos soaking up the excess nutrients and its working better than I ever imagined.

The Monstera was a pretty scrawny half-withered specimen when I started out, but has really taken off as it's grown towards the window. :)

On a side-note, my P is nearly 15 years old now.

B) 

Posted Image
Click it now!

#2 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Long time man! 

That is awesome man...not only efficient but just looks badass. 

I am moving my 500 and plan to do something very similar.....however I have yet to research what plants to use.  My plan is to do kind of a aquaponic type thing on the back of the tank with water being pumped through a "trough" above the tank. 

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#3 Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Fry

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Long time indeed! :)

I've read about setups like that in a very old aquarium book I have, it does sound very interesting.

Posted Image
Click it now!

#4 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Tank has been moved...what a bitch that was...lol.  Been running for 2 days now so the temp is finally up in the 70's.  Just picked up some huge convicts and a couple catfish to make sure it is good to go.  Now I just need to configure the massive driftwood I have for it.  I picked up a huge driftwood stump and chainsawed it in half....I now need to get it arranged in the tank somehow.

#5 Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Fry

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

A lot of stuff happens in a couple of months lol.

The Monster is growing bigger and badder with more and more aerial roots flying out from the trunk. The Golden Pothos has gone nuts with the main vine producing new leaves before the old is even fully unfurled, not to mention its now sending out shoots like crazy that are snaking around and clinging to the Monstera's aerial roots. I've also added a Christmas Cactus and a Hoya cutting as well as stuck down an Orchid and a hibiscus cutting at the front sun-side corner of the tank lol.

PirreSetupJune2017-1.jpg

And speaking of driftwood, I figured out a nice way to conceal the roots from all the plants.

PirreSetupJune2017-2.jpg

Their not really firmly anchored, just stacked against the spongy root mass and I have no idea on what's going to happen further down the line, whether or not the roots will push them apart or if they will actually bind them together, but for the time being it looks pretty cool. :)

And my P is plenty red still, he's just grumpy in this picture after I re-arranged things lol. Come to think of it, I will have had him for 15 years now come August.

Posted Image
Click it now!

#6 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Im diging it.  I have a couple of the devil ivy that started as 1 leaf and now have 4 or so.  Also a couple hostas that I had not planted yet and they are doing ok.  Not as good as the outdoor ones though.

#7 Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Fry

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

A yes Devil's Ivy, that would be the Golden Pothos, or we can do away with common names and just call it: "Epipremnum aureum"  :D

Posted Image
Click it now!

#8 Guru

Guru

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

Nerd.

Just kidding, I'm all about binomial nomenclature!

I've always wanted to do a crazy setup with a wall of plants filtering a giant fish tank below or an estuarine tank with mangroves. Maybe someday when I retire and have a sunroom/greenhouse.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

What size tank and filtration you got there? 15 years is a long time and I wish you many more. Were you on the old predatoryfish.net? I lost my 17yr old rhom last year which was tough. I tried pothos a while ago on my tank but failed miserably :(

#10 Alexraptor

Alexraptor

Fry

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

It's a custom tank thats a little over 27 gallons, for filtration I use an Eheim Aquaball internal filter with three media baskets loaded with regular filter sponges.

And no I wasn't, think this if the first I've ever heard about that site.

Sucks about your Rhom but at least he got to live to a decent ripe old age, though I've heard of the odd specimen that's lived into its late 20's.

The thing I've found with Pothos is that it's truly a light loving plant, the nutrient removal didn't take off in my tank until it and my Monstera crawled into the window.

It went from being a thing flimsy plant to having a trunk about as thick as my thumb!

PothosTrunk.jpg

Posted Image
Click it now!

#11 nzafi

nzafi

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

I have heard of a natt. living to 20 years and found two folks that had rhoms around 34+ years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users