• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

I got this manny at the lfs today so I only have a few photos. I put it in a 75 gallon. Is that big enough for an 8"?

Attached Files

#2 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

congrats on the new pick up.

it's plenty big for fish that size

Is it the picture of the head looks a little "unique"?

Posted Image

#3 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

So I picked up a manueli for s good price at the lfs. The fish was on the top shelf so I couldn't see it from the top down. When I got it home I acclimated it to the tank, shut the light off, and left alone until this afternoon when I couldn't resist taking a look at him. I noticed the what appeared to be hith? At the store I didn't notice it but could the stress of moving it again cause it to flame up or something? The store employee said that the guy that brought it in only fed it live feeders. Does this look like hith? What besides improving the diet and good water quality can I do to help this fish? Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by bwesenberg11, 05 September 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#4 CyberGenetics

CyberGenetics

ArachnoKing

• 1,105 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

I may be wrong, but it looks more like foul play then HITH. Hard to tell from those pics. It seems very localized, where HITH tends to be more scatter. More pic's may be beneficial.

#5 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

This is all I have so far.

Attached Files

#6 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

We need a better focused head shot so we can better see what it might be.

looks like a very bad HITH or some kind of infection which lead to all the skin on top of the skull disappeared, at least that's what it seems like to me

Posted Image

#7 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

I will get more pics in the morning. Thank you.

#8 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

Well I just zoomed in on the pictures I had but it doesn't make it more focused.

Attached Files

#9 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

well...zoom in won't help, you have to try to take better pictures but it does look like the "flesh" part had been "eaten" away

Posted Image

#10 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

Here are more. Looks bad when I get up close. It doesn't seem any worse or any better. Thanks

Attached Files

#11 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

If anyone could tell me 100% what I'm dealing with I would greatly appreciate it so I can make sure I give him the most beneficial treatment. So far I've added salt and Melafix and have been changing about 10% of the water daily and leaving the lights off to let him settle. Thanks everyone

#12 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:27 PM

Help!

#13 jp80911

jp80911

食人魚

• Site Moderator
  • 4,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

does it look like it's getting worse compare to when you first got it? or it stays the same?

from the recent pictures what it looks to me is old scars from HITH or some kind of infection, doesn't look like it's a fresh wound or something..if it's old scars then it may not heal back to normal. 

Just keep an eye on it and try not to let it get any worse.

I never had experience with something this sever so won't be able to help much, hopefully other more experienced guys can give you some pointers.

Posted Image

#14 grassman

grassman

Pygocentrus cariba

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

DEFINATLY APPEARS TO BE HLTH

#15 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have treated with several rounds of API general cure and it is looking a little better but nothing major. It might just be scars because it hasn't gotten any worse. Might just be an ugly little guy but if I can get him on a healthy diet and make the fish happy then I'm good. Thanks everyone

#16 CLUSTER ONE

CLUSTER ONE

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Keep the water clean and give it time. It is likely old HITH that has partially healed. I believe Metro by Hikari is designed to treat HITH to some degree. I've also had good luck with Ken's fish medicated (also uses metro as the active ingredient) pellets  (an oscar I got with very bad HITH). Depending on how picky the Manny is, it may be hard to get him to eat medicated pellets.

Treating HITH is not a short term process. I got the oscar as an adult over a year and a half ago and it is still slowly healing after numerous rounds of medicated and epson salt soaked food.

My advice:

- Stop dosing all current meds

- Carbon and water changes to remove any existing meds from the water

- Dose Prazi Pro for any internal issues 

- Carbon and water changes to remove any existing meds from the water

- Dose Metro as bath or orally, try to get him on metro medicated foods either directly or by stuffing pellets in larger food.

- Carbon and water changes to remove any existing meds from the water

- Wait a month and repeat a couple times. A round or two of epson salt soaked food may help as a general precaution (constipation etc). I try to do this during periods of no medication.

Note: Remove all carbon during dosing.

Edited by CLUSTER ONE, 09 October 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#17 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Actually i finisnished the second round of treatment and it looks like the holes are filling in a bit. I've done 20 and 10% changes and he is more active and will actually swim in front of me. He's still eating convicts that were in the tank prior to him. Once he eats them all I think I can get him off live all together. I have been feeding the convicts some good pellets so I hope he gets some of their nutrients. He attacked the pleco today but the pleco flipped and scared him off. He ate a fully mature adult male 2 days ago. I've got some tilapia with garlic guard and vitachem waiting in the freezer for the right time. He has turned down earthworms

#18 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

Well I think they are filling in they are filled with white tissue and the fish is acting better so I assume it's healing
But probably won't be 100% cosmetically. Which I'm fine with

#19 CLUSTER ONE

CLUSTER ONE

Serrasalmus spilopleura

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Also, If he's at all skiddish I would make sure there's nothing abrasive in his tank that  he could run into and scrape his face on. I'm not 100% sold on HITH as HITH is often puffy/swollen with holes and not so sunken though that seems to be a rather odd and symmetric shape for a wound. The main thing is for anything open to heal as it will drastically reduce any chance of fungus/infection.

Edited by CLUSTER ONE, 12 October 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#20 bwesenberg11

bwesenberg11

Fry

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yeah it's got me confused but if it's healing even ever so slightly. Something must be going right. Thanks. It seems no one knows for sure what's going on

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Manueli, piranha, tank size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users