3 replies to this topic

#1 zonicchris

zonicchris

Fry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Hi there, 
Guys would you suggest the right voltage lamps for my saltwater tank. I’m going to order 90 gal tank. I won’t buy the fixture, because I have it. So what size/voltage of lamps do I need for this tank? 48″ x 18″ x 24″
Thanks 

#2 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

you didn't say what type of fixture you have, from my reading of your post I would have to assume MH. I know nothng about MH having never bothered with them myself (simply can't have the heat output by them).

I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

#3 zonicchris

zonicchris

Fry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

you didn't say what type of fixture you have, from my reading of your post I would have to assume MH. I know nothng about MH having never bothered with them myself (simply can't have the heat output by them).

I have standard T5. I need to find good fluorescent bulbs for it. And I do not understand how many to take.. if I stop my choice at these 54W https://www.mrosuppl...ulham-lighting/ How many will I need them for tank?   2 or 4?

#4 Nzac

Nzac

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

Is your fixture for T5NO or T5HO? that will make a difference, if it is for T5NO, it will lilkely underpower the t5ho bulbs making them not work so good. They say that with t5ho you want 1 bulb for every 3" of width, so 18" wide tank would be 6 bulbs, maybe you could get by with 4 bulbs, but definately not 2. I run a 6 bulb t5ho fixture on my 75 gallon, 48x18x21 with excellent results. I use only ATI bulbs, my fixture is set up with 2 lights on one timer and 4 on other. On first timer is bulb 2 and bulb 4, second timer is bulbs 1, 3, 5, 6. Bulbs I use in order from front to back(not my preferred order but with bulbs 2&4 together I wanted those to be just blue) are...

1 coral plus

2 blue plus

3 purple plus

4 blue plus

5 blue plus

6 blue plus

It also depends on what you want to do with your tank, fish only, softies, lps, sps. With the above lighting on a 75 I have enough light to support any corals I choose to pick up now or down the road.

Edited by Nzac, 29 December 2015 - 11:09 AM.

I've got several scaley and a couple scaleless creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users