• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

Could we possibly add a section maybe under or in New members which is kind of like a faq section which answers basic questions such as temp.... Info on all piranhas species and other basic piranhas care that newbs should know .... That way new members can get informed by reading it rather then ask questions over and over again that many of us have answered millions of times..... I feel like some including myself don't answer some of these questions new members ask bc we have posted them so many times.... If anyone has any ideas towards this please feel free to add.... Just thought this might make things easier for us and get answers to new members in a short amount of time

#2 The Dude

The Dude

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Site Moderator
  • 9,968 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

I think it might be better for us to try and be better with new members. I liked the idea, but I think a lot of potential members would just read it and move on.
  • rioapure likes this

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

I'm not saying put all info on there just faq .... New members will always have ?s that prob wouldn't be on the section .... Just thought it was a good start for them ... Then they can proceed posting about other questions or opinions

#4 Grosse Gurke

Grosse Gurke

The AssMan

• Webmaster
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

We can do a forum called "Beginners Luck" (or something) and pin some beginner info in there...and if new to the hobby folks want to post in there they can.

Should we consolidate some of the other forums? 

• rioapure and Skorpion like this

gallery_2_10_18361.jpgsml_gallery_2_10_73348.jpg

#5 Scars

Scars

Meat & Milk Delivery Boy

• 8,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

I agree that the idea is solid, but its just that we dont have the new member traffic (atleast that actively post).  If things ramp up then I'm all for it. Otherwise, good old fashioned stickies.

I do think the hobby forums should be consolidated a bit.  Maybe make product review a sub forum of the "Tank Filters and Equipment" section, mash fresh and saltwater into a... other-fish-that-arent-piranha section, and I'd even say water quality and health should be combined.  Make the traffic we do have go to the same areas, then if things pick up, expand them as needed.

• FISHnSCAT likes this

#6 FISHnSCAT

FISHnSCAT

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

seems like we need to get back to how this site used to be. like the first year or two. it was insane how active it was. 

• rioapure likes this
trav- ye I got weird cat eyes and one is lazy

also trav- I like to lurk around the mens public toilets holding a tub of vaseline and a box of tissues

#7 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

The traffic might not be that great but i think its still a good idea for a few write ups .....If i was a noob i would rather have a section that would answer most of my questions rather then post them all individually all the time ,there will always be new members reguardless of traffic

Its a very easy fix 

#8 d3r

d3r

Serrasalmus sanchezi

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

I was drawn to this site because my redbellies were banging it out..had a sh*t load of eggs in the tank and I was caught completely off guard.

Googled what to do and it brought up threads from here and pfury. I only registered to PM and get more direct answers to my panic'd overload of questions.

Had all the information been layed out for me I probably wouldnt have registered in the first place.

But I do like the idea and think it will be very helpful to people like me.

ill even write up the "omg my piranhas laid eggs!?!?" Thread if you want since 7 or 8 spawns later im a bit of an expert now hahah.

#9 Grendel

Grendel

Analog Man/Digital World

• Members
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Anybody can find all the information on piranha all over the web, not just on here, so it's got to be more about building the social group then just having the information in an easy to read place. A forum lives and dies on all those questions that get asked over and over, it's a way to make a human connection, newb asks question, gets friendly help and hangs around, next thing, he's complaining about all the same questions being asked all the time, and so on and so on....
If nobody came back from the future to stop you, it wasn't that bad of a decision.

#10 Dolphinswin

Dolphinswin

Fry

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

My take on forums is as follows.

When I was new(which I feel like I am again since its been like 5 years since I had a tank) I would read stickies but would love to post questions anyways just to get a response. It just feels like you are interacting with the forum more when people answer your question directly. Also more than likely will answer it more specifically since you situation maybe a little different from the sticky.
I don't think its piranha questions that are generally that hard, there a reasonably easy fish to keep. It's more tank questions. When I started the last thing on my mind was how to feed and keep fish, the more important question was about how to go about setting up the tank since I was new. Cycling the tank etc.(I'll have to figure the cycling thing out again when I'm able to get back in the hobby since I totally forgot how I did it the first time lol). Anyhow just a thought.

#11 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

Like istated before faq not all but most ,you have to realize that there will always be plenty more questions . A lot of people on here barely post or respond to newb questions  besides myself and a handful of other guys on here as well

#12 The Dude

The Dude

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Site Moderator
  • 9,968 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Write it up. I'll pin it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 ACrowe25

ACrowe25

Serrasalmus elongatus

• 5,326 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Anybody can find all the information on piranha all over the web, not just on here, so it's got to be more about building the social group then just having the information in an easy to read place. A forum lives and dies on all those questions that get asked over and over, it's a way to make a human connection, newb asks question, gets friendly help and hangs around, next thing, he's complaining about all the same questions being asked all the time, and so on and so on....

FINALLY! Someone gets it.

We all were there yet no one, including me, wants to answer the basic questions. I should be better about it myself but just am not.

If you want it to grow we need to answer people's questions in a reasonable amount of time. They'll stick around (hopefully) and find the other threads we are all interested in.

Pointing them to a sticky or the search bar is the best way to push them out the door.

Edited by ACrowe25, 17 February 2015 - 08:39 PM.

A life unexamined is not worth living.

#14 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

Il write it up if we are gonna use it...obv some people think it's a bad idea and for those that do should prob respond to more posts then ..... Answer some newb questions .... Most forums have an info section .... It would also be useful for some of us as well

Edited by Sandnukka15, 18 February 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#15 FISHnSCAT

FISHnSCAT

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

Il write it up if we are gonna use it...obv some people think it's a bad idea and for those that do should prob respond to more posts then ..... Answer some newb questions .... Most forums have an info section .... It would also be useful for some of us as well

it would also be nice to make it more accessible, maybe even give the new comers a list of suggested threads with links to read upon making their account?

trav- ye I got weird cat eyes and one is lazy

also trav- I like to lurk around the mens public toilets holding a tub of vaseline and a box of tissues

#16 Sandnukka15

Sandnukka15

Serrasalmus elongatus

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

That's a good idea so that way they have a sense of direction ...... Idk when il be done with this faq write up .... Waiting on getting my comp from my rents house .... Don't want to type all this out on my phone lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users